There may be instances where you Need to factory reset a VxRail node. IE you are creating a new cluster, a fresh install is failing, or because you feel like it 🙂 Here is an easy step by step guide on how to RASR reset a VxRail host.
*Please remember you are going to be taking the host back to factory reset. Do not perform a RASR reset unless it is needed.
**Make sure the RASR image you have is of the desired code level.
High Level Steps:
- Restart the server
- Boot to BOOT Manager by pressing F11
- Choose One time Boot Option
- Choose IDSDM from the SD card
- The RASR application will load
- Press 1 to reset to factory settings
- Press Y to agree
- The application will reinitialize the system
- Press N to skip returning to the main menu
- Press Y to reboot the machine and complete the installation
Step by Step Process:
Reset with warm boot
One-Shot UEFI boot menu
This reboot process takes 30-45 minutes so please be patient.
Unless you need to update the RASR image the factory reset is an easy straight forward process. If you are using this tool to build a new cluster from an existing one and the RASR image isn’t too the level you require. I recommend performing the factory reset to all the hosts, build the new cluster, then upgrade the cluster to the desired code level. It is a much quicker process. I hope you find these steps and screenshots useful.