Recently, I had to upgrade my existing VMware 6.7 U3 VCSA to the new 7.0 VCSA. I know a lot of people who are planning for this upgrade by the end of the year so I hope this helps everyone out.
- Need temp FQDN & IP with valid DNS registration for deployment process, will be released when upgrade completes.
- If vCenter Server Appliance uses an external Update Manager instance, you must run the Migration Assistant on the Update Manager machine.
- Your source and target ESXi hosts must not be in lockdown or maintenance mode, and not part of fully automated DRS clusters.
- Review your environment’s Certificate Authority (CA) signed SSL certificates.
- ESXi hosts must be at version 6.5 or later.
- Check VMware interoperability for all external components: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php
Step 1 – Confirm your current VCSA health and Version – Build number
Step 2. Take a snapshot or a clone of your existing vCenter server
I personally like to take a clone, some prefer a snapshot, others a backup.
Step 3. Deploy new VCSA Appliance
Mount the ISO
Go to vcsa-ui-installer > win32 > installer
Select Upgrade —- DO NOT SELECT INSTALL!
Check I accept the terms of the license agreement > NEXT
Enter the information for the Source (Original) VCSA Appliance
Connecting to source server…
Enter the source (original) Username and password and root password
Enter the standalone ESXi host or vCenter server that manages your source (original) appliance
This is where you enter the standalone ESXi or vCenter that will manage the new vCenter appliance
Enter username and password of the ESXi or vCenter
Select deployment size
Select the datastore you want the new appliance to be deployed on
Finish filling in the network information of the new appliance
Confirm all the information is correct and click finish
Stage 1: Deploy vCenter Server – this can take a while so be patient
Step 4 / Stage 2 – Upgrade source vCenter Server
I select the configuration and historical data.
Join the VMware’s Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP)
Confirm the information is correct and click FINISH
The source vCenter will be shut down once the network configuration is enabled on destination vCenter Server.
Click OK to continue, or Cancel to stop the upgrade
Upgrade is being initiated …
Click on the URL link to go to the login page
Confirm your Version: 22.214.171.12400 Build number 16620007
It is a very lengthy process but a whole lot of sit and wait. However, the features that come in 7.0 are too good to wait on. I hope everyone found this article useful.